My grandson asked for a small advent calendar for his very own. I thought of small little matchboxes with candy in them. Like I do most of my crafts, I headed to my favorite Dollar Tree to see what they had on hand to make him a DIY Matchbox Advent Calendar.
Background wrapping paper (Words on it are best to use.)
4 Different Color Christmas Wrapping Paper
24 Little Match Boxes
Sticker for Christmas Foam
ABC Kind of Stickers
Little Small Christmas Decorations
Small Strand of Christmas lights with battery operation
- Wrap your big box with the word Christmas wrapping paper
- Wrap your matchboxes in groups of six using the four different Christmas wrapping paper
- Ensure that you can slide them open to one side (pick one side you’re going to use.)
- Place them on your box with enough room to open them fully
- Then use your glue gun to glue the box. I used 4 across then 6 bottom style
- Take the time to place the numbers 1-24 on each of the wrapped matchboxes
- Using the Christmas ABC’s lettering place Merry Christmas across the top of the box
- Place Christmas stickers/ornaments throughout the big box without blocking the matchboxes from opening fully
- Place the message using lettering stickers that the user can open one gift each day from December 1st- December 24th.
- Run your lights around the box and tape the switch to the back of the box.
- Once you’re done then you can place your small candy in each matchbox.
Your finished product should look close to this one.
Once you’re done you get the pleasure of watching your little one open each box every day until Christmas. Hope you like this DIY Matchbox Advent Calendar.
Talk to me in the comments, please:
Do you think you’ll make this matchbox advent calendar with your kids?
If you like this craft, please Pin it to your holiday boards. Thank you.